Wednesday, May 16, 2012

"You're Beautiful"...

(I always feel like I should start with a disclaimer for those who do not know me. If you know me, you know that Taylor is the center of my world and receives all the love and attention a child should or could ever want. If you don't know me, please do not mistake my concerns or my opinions as a reflection of a future for my child that will be devoid of the emotional support needed for this disease.)

Last week when my husband put Taylor to bed, I noticed that after he told her "Good night, I love you", he said "You are beautiful". Of course it touched my heart and I recalled hearing him say it at night before but had never really paid much attention. I decided I'd start and sure enough every night before bed when he tells her good night, he tells her she is beautiful. It made me start thinking how much of an influence that will be on her future. It is reasonable, I would think, that she will believe it for many years to come. That statement alone could likely ward off the insecurity demons for some time. But when will that not be enough? Of course my husband and I think she is beautiful. She's ours. However, I wonder how the rest of the world will perceive her. Even yesterday (bet you can't guess where, lol), I was asked whether she was a boy or a girl. To me, it seemed so simple. She was in pink and purple, she has earrings, she has a smile that lights up the room. What about her doesn't look like a girl? I didn't have to ask the question or answer it, because the lady took it upon herself to rub Taylor's bald head and say "I thought you were a girl but wasn't sure because of this" (as she is still rubbing my kids head).

I know beauty goes beyond the surface. If beauty was judged on smiles, personality, or kindness, half of Hollywood would be replaced. But, that is not the world we live in and thus my baby will face those who question her beauty. My husband can tell her every night, I can as well, but at some point it is logical to think that she may not feel the same way we do, especially if she is faced with bullying and the likes of other insecure peers. I don't really have a moral to the story or a message to share. I am pondering these thoughts about her future myself. I do know one thing, when she finds a man who will tell her she is beautiful every night, that will be a man worth pursuing. I just hope she knows her worth as she grows older and I hope that her Dad continues telling her "you're beautiful" for years to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment