Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Her first realization...

I always thought Taylor would be older when she first realized she did not have hair. Even after today, I'm sure she does not really "get it"... obviously... she is only 18 months!!!! However, she did look for her hair today.

I had the television on this morning and the phone rang, so I muted it. When I hung up from my phone call I pressed the button to turn the volume on again, which got Taylors attention. She resumed playing, occasionally looking up at the TV until the hair commercial came on. I'm not even sure which one it was, Herbal Essences, maybe. Regardless, it had her attention. She stood paralyzed watching the woman flip her hair back and forth, side to side in a manner that I'm pretty sure nobody does. Taylor began to sway in her spot (my child dances to no music all the time, so that did not seem odd). I just watched her though and when the commercial ended she walked directly to the full length mirror and looked at herself and grabbed at her head. She looked back at the TV, maybe trying to make the connection and then stared again at herself while patting her non existent hair. I don't know why, but that was hard to watch. At 18 months she sees it, even if only for a brief moment, she could tell she looked different from the woman on TV.

Some things, I may never get used to...

No comments:

Post a Comment